This article guides how to migrate Exchange mailboxes from Exchange servers in one forest to Exchange servers in other forest (i.e. Cross Forest Migration)
This article applies to MachPanel Build v6.4.22 and above.
- Enable MRS proxy.
- Auto-discovery should be in place.
- Valid SSL certificate should be in place on both Exchange Platforms.
- This guide will assist in migrating the mailbox items (emails, folders and etc.) only
doesn’t replicate the mailbox settings such as group membership,
calendar permissions and etc.
- To replicate the mailbox configuration
settings a separate desktop utility is created to collect and compile the configuration/settings data of the
selected mailboxes, distribution lists and mail contacts in data files
in JSON format on source exchange server. Follow this article to run this utility separately and to create these files.
- Once done these files can be imported in control panel as explained in Post Migration steps.
1. Migrating Mailbox(es) in Exchange
Control Panel provides Cross forest Migration i.e. providers can migrate Exchange mailboxes from Exchange servers in one forest to Exchange servers in other forest.
- To Migrate Mailboxes, navigate to Home > Service Director > Exchange Hosting > Mailbox Migration.
- There are four tabs named as Stats, Endpoints, Batches, and Mailbox Migration.
Under Stats tab, stats of Batches and Mailboxes are shown
Under Endpoints tab, Click to Add new Endpoints
specify Endpoint name, select Domain, specify Source mailbox email address, specify Source Admin Username and password.
Clicking Verify Endpoints details will show success message as shown below
Specify Max concurrent migrations and Max concurrent incremental sync and click Save, All Endpoint will be shown listed like shown below
- Select Endpoint: Select Endpoint from the dropdown list.
Target Organization: For target organization provide following:
Select User(s): Select users from Selectable to Selected
Bad items limit: Provide bad items limit.
Large items limit: Provide large items limit.
Send report on Batch complete to: Comma separated email addresses
Auto start batch instantly: Check box
Click Save when done.
Important Note: Exchange service should not enabled on Targeted AD User (s). For AD users
you need to specify the Mailbox GUID for cross forest migration under
optional settings of Ad Users. Only those users will be visible on which
GUIDs of source mailboxes are set under users and Proxy address (es) should be set (match email address of source mailbox). GUID can be set on AD User(s)
Bulk import via .csv
Using ADSync (ADSync syncs GUIDs as well)
To add/edit an AD user navigate to the following path: Home » Service Director » Active Directory » Users. Expand Optional Settings by clicking on (+) sign.
Mailbox GUID for migration
Mailbox Archive Guid
Mailbox Archive Name
Mailbox Recipient Type Details
Also, AD User(s) can be created either one by one, via bulk AD User creation (Using MachPanel AD module) or via ADSync.
Specify Bad and Large Item limits, email address (es) can be specified if you want to be notified.
Mode of syncing (Auto or Manual can be configured via checkbox), click Save.
Logs are shown like this
On closing the logs, All the Batches are shown listed like this.
Under Mailbox Migration, Mailbox wise migration status can be viewed.
Note: On all above interfaces records can be searched/filtered based on supported criteria
2. Use Desktop Utility
As you already have run special Exchange Migration Utility (if not, do it now, please follow the article) and as a results you have these files to update recipients (mailboxes, distribution lists and contacts)' settings
3. Post Migration Steps
- Login to Target Exchange Server.
- Navigate to Home » Service Director » Exchange Hosting » Accounts.
- Click to Manage the migrated subscription, select General settings tab and Click Update recipients settings button or Update recipients settings Tab.
Now you will select the files for Mailboxes, Distribution Lists and Contacts
Once selected you will see these like this
In case of any mismatch you can check the checkbox to create recipient which are not found in Target Organization. Click Save.
Jobs will be added which can be tracked in Group Jobs