This article provides information about how to manually update your MachPanel Control and Remote Servers.
MachPanel all versions
- Kindly ensure to take backup of database as well as MachPanel files.
- It is recommended to name the database backup file according to the current version of MachPanel (e.g. MP_DB_Backup_4123)
- Also take backup of MachPanel files with version name usually at this path C:\Program Files\MachSol, Inc\MachPanel
(e.g. Saving the MachPanel files and naming the folder as MP_Files_Backup 4123 if the current version is 4.1.23)
- Similarly take backup of the MachPanel Remote Files.
The backup details are explained below.
Manual Steps to Update:
A-To manually update MachPanel Control Server:
In order to apply the updates, first you need to get the Update.zip file. For that you need to download the Update.zip from the configuration studio and then navigate to the following path to pick the Update.zip file: C:\Program Files\MachSol,Inc\MachPanel\Cache\Temp\Update\Update.zip. Once you have the Update.zip, you can extract it. Upon extraction you will see that there are multiple folders such as:
DLL, Files, Script, Services. Files and Script folders are of your interest.
Note: Do not run any file other than the mentioned folders. No files are to be double clicked. If there is already an Update.zip existing on this path before you download and you are not sure what version it is than you can simply delete the Update.zip, close the configuration studio, re-start it and download again from the configuration studio.
You must first take a backup of your current MachPanel installation i.e. replicate the folder C:\Program Files\MachSol,Inc\MachPanel to some place in computer where you place backups. Also take a backup (a must) of your database i.e. MachPanel_Db and place it in a safe location on your PC.
Steps to follow:
1. Stop IIS Admin Service, please make sure that all the services are STOPPED from MachPanel Configuration Studio. Verify from Task Manager that the following services are not running.
- MachSol.MachPanel Provisioning Service.
- MachPanel Billing Service.
- MachPanel Helpdesk Service.
- MachPanel Network Service.
- MachPanel License Service.
2. Copy all the files/folders from the Files folder from the extracted Update.zip and paste it at this path: C:\Program Files\MachSol,Inc\MachPanel\. Note that the folders at this path and in the Files folder in the extracted Update.zip are almost the same. At this point you have replaced the MachPanel updated files and now you need to run a script on the database.
3. Open your SQL Server Management Studio and log in using the user: MachPanel_Db and its password. If you don’t know the password of this user then you can check it from the connection string from the registry. (Please see attachment)
4. After logging in, create new query on the MachPanel_Db. Copy all the script from the Script.txt in the Script folder in the extracted Update.zip. Paste this script in that new query and first parse the query to know if there are any syntax errors or not. If not than execute the query.
After the files have been replaced and the script has been successfully run on the database, you need to start all the MachPanel services and the configuration studio again. Start "MachPanel Provisioning service" and other services from Task Manager under Services tabs shown below. When you open the configuration studio now, you can see that the version has been upgraded.
B-To manually update MachPanel Remote Server:
First, try the following steps:
updates have been performed, make sure that the control and all the
remote servers are on same build, otherwise they wont be able to
communicate with each other
- Then click on Download button.
If scenario 1 does not work, you can try the following:
In order to apply the updates for the MachPanel Remote Server, first you need to get the Update.zip file. For that you need to download the Update.zip from the configuration studio on your Control Server and then navigate to the following path to pick the Update.zip file: C:\Program Files\MachSol\MachPanel Control Server\RemoteUpdate\Update.zip. Once you have the Update.zip, you can extract it. Upon extraction you will see a folder named as: Files
Note: Do not run any file other than the mentioned folders. No files are to be double clicked. If there is already an Update.zip existing on this path before you download and you are not sure what version it is than you can simply delete the Update.zip, close the configuration studio and download again from the configuration studio.
Steps to follow:
1. Shut down the MachPanel Provisioning service and also exit the Remote configuration studio. Make sure no instance to MachPanel Remote Configuration Studio is running under any user. Verify from "Task Manager" that the
following services are not running.
- MachSol.MachPanel Provisioning Service
2. Copy all the files from the Files folder from the extracted Update.zip and paste it at this path: C:\Program Files\MachSol\MachPanel Remote Server\. There are only a few files that you will be replacing here.
3. Once the files have been replaced, you can start the MachPanel Provisioning Service from Task manager and start the configuration Studio. The remote server is now updated.
Auto update configuration studio and remote configuration studio installer for manual updates
- Added a new tab in Software Updates form in Configuration Studio and Remote Configuration Studio, named “Manual Update”.
- Textbox will accept .zip file URL to download update. On update click, download file, save as Update.zip in Cache/Update folder, unzip it.
- System will check xml keys from MachPanel.xml file:
- If in old MachPanel.xml file Build is same but new UpdateVersion is greater than old values then update routine will be called as a normal update. But system will use above downloaded files to update.
- UpdateVersion will be included in new MachPanel.xml file